When attempting to play with your friends online, you may need to know the game’s version on Steam. For example, if you and a friend are playing an online campaign together and one of you has a different game version installed than the other, the two versions could be incompatible in campaign mode.
How to find out the version of the game on Steam
When one player has a licensed version of the game and the other has a pirated one, this is typically the most common problem. However, when one user has stopped updating himself, this can also happen. There are numerous methods for determining software version at the same time.
Method 1: Game Properties on Steam
This approach is better suited for comparing the versions of a game across two Steam users. This is due to the fact that, whereas many individuals find the playground to be confusing, it is only useful for players of this service.
- Visit “Library”. Find the game you want from the list, right-click it and select “Properties”.
- Switch to the “Local files” tab. Then, there will be a version for developers. These numbers can only be compared to those of other Stim players.
Method 2: The game folder
Follow the instructions below to see the parameter in a more clear and convenient fashion, compare it later with non-Steam players, or go to game forums.
- Follow the two steps in the previous technique, but don’t pay attention to the file version. Click “View local files” instead. This is true whether you’re logged in as a client or not. The same folder may be accessed through conventional Windows Explorer if you don’t launch the client. By default, this path is
X:SteamsteamappscommonНАЗВАНИЕ_ИГРЫWhere X – the name of your disk partition, and NAME OF THE GAME. – games folder. By default it is
C:Program Files (x86)Steamsteamappscommon.
- Locate the game’s EXE file and hover over it. The version of the game may be seen in the information box that appears.
- Right-click the EXE file and select “Properties” for the same data. Select tab “Details.”- the data of interest will be on the lines “File version”. и “Product version”..
Method 3: Main menu of the game
Some games have a launch date for their version. The major disadvantage of this approach is that it only affects a tiny percentage of users, not all game developers add this information to the main screen.
It’s usually enough to open the game and search for the version on-screen carefully.
There may be an item named “About the game” (or something similar) at the top of the main menu. There are usually links to further information, such as the project’s publisher, team of creators, and other information, such as the game’s version. If you can’t find that choice in a menu, it’s most likely hidden and should be looked for in settings.
Method 4: Console command
If a game has the capacity to access the console, you may utilize one of its commands to obtain fundamental information about it. Enter the commandversionin Counter-Strike, and among all of the lines, “Exe Construction” will be most useful. You can copy everything or part of the text to send it to another person. Other console games may use a different command; you should look at the list on our website for a complete list.
That concludes our discussion of how to check the version of any game on Steam. We hope this information is useful for you in resolving your issues.
We are happy to have been able to assist you.